Monday, January 21, 2013

Healthy Bodies Week!!

We just had a fun-filled week full of healthy bodies themed activities in my classroom. Here are a few things you may want to check out:

On Monday we ate a healthy snack and talked about things that are healthy and things that are unhealthy. We each shared a healthy food that I drew up on the board.
We read, “The Very Hungry Caterpillar,” by Eric Carle and afterwards talked about the healthy foods the caterpillar ate and the unhealthy foods he ate in a “walk-through the book.”

We water-colored a lunch:

The class picked out their lunch, I helped them cut it out (because they are two and scissors aren’t in our skill-set yet), and they pasted the items into their lunchbox. 











 

We sorted foods that are healthy and unhealthy with this game:
This is a game I call “Peek-a-Boo Sandwich.” You can do it with any template. (Last month I did a Peek-a-Boo Snowman.) The children count from one to twenty and intently watch as you flip from one number to the next as they look for the silly peek-a-boo template that is slipped in. They learn the numerals, count consecutively and have fun doing it! My kids beg to do it again! A teacher’s dream J








I love to give my children the opportunity to “read” the Circle Time books so I like to put out a table that is dedicated to my library books once or twice each week. It also gives us an opportunity to talk about respecting books and how we should treat them.
We focused a day to keeping our mouths and teeth healthy and made our own toothpaste! All you need is baking soda, water and peppermint for flavor:
I poured the ingredients into each child’s bag, closed it up and had them “squish it.” They loved it!
We talked about keeping our teeth clean, brushing them to brush the sugar bugs off our teeth, then they made this smiley face art. The children worked their fine motor skills while adding teeth to their smiles:
We talked a lot about germs on the rest of our bodies and how to keep our germs to our self because like the book says, “Germs Are Not For Sharing!” (book by Elizabeth Verdick). I read a book at Circle Time, “Elmo Says Achoo!” by Albee and Brannon and every time Elmo sneezed I had my children pretend to sneeze into a tissue. They had a blast!

We explored more about germs and pretended that the glitter in our paint was germs. We made a few handprints on paper to make some germy art.
We found out how hard it was to wash away the glitter germs and had fun while learning how long we should actually be washing. I had the children sing the ABC’s while washing to be sure to wash away all of the germs.

Afterwards we decorated a face with yarn hair and the children picked out and placed their own eyes down.  I traced and cut out their arms and put together this fun little art:


We had a blast this week! For the next two weeks my class will be talking all about Community Helpers. Check back next week!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Did you like what you read? Have more ideas? I'd love to hear your input!!